The Importance of Giving to Charity
Whether it is small non-profit or a worldwide organization, charities are an integral part of every community. Charities change the lives of people in need every day with even the smallest of donations making a large impact in a community. However, a charity relies on your support to continue their work in the community. So why should you donate?
- Tax deductions- When you donate to a charitable organization or a non-profit group, the amount you donate is tax deductible. Through tax deductions, not only are you supporting your community and impacting the lives of people who need your help, but you are also enjoying the benefits of a lower tax bill.
- Matching gifts- Many corporations will match your charitable contributions, often times dollar-for-dollar, and in some instances, you can make donations with automatic payroll deductions. Making use of a matching gift program will not only maximize the impact of your support, but also boost your company’s charitable activities through the charity of your choice.
- Giving to a charity helps make our community a better place to live by helping to provide goods and services to people who may not otherwise have access to them. When the standard of living for people in need of help goes up, our own standard of living goes up.
- Personal Satisfaction- With so many charities across the globe, it makes it easy to find an organization that has personally affected you or your family. For example, many of us know or have a connection to a service man or woman. With supporting a program such as Youk’s Kids’ Athletes for Heroes, you are able to gain an understanding of the importance of the sacrifice that our heroes make for our community and our country and why their families might need our support.
Becoming involved in philanthropy by supporting local and global charities is needed now more than ever. Since the economic downturn in 2008, charities have seen a dip in donations. Some non-profits are hurting more than others, but for many organizations the goal remains clear to help make the community and the world a better place for everyone. Below you will find a short clip of an interview with Cirque du Soleil founder, Guy Laliberte, giving you his reasoning on why you should give to charity.
- Tucker Hamlin, Summer Intern